In general, lasers utilize a concentrated beam of light energy to perform functions ranging from reading DVDs and scanning barcodes, to allowing doctors and dentists to perform a number of critical procedures with precision and accuracy. At Austin Dentist, we are recognized regional experts in the practical application of dental lasers. Some of the laser technology featured at our Austin dental practice includes:
- DIAGNOdent. This diagnostic laser allows your Austin Dentist to identify the earliest signs of tooth decay which are normally invisible to the naked eye. Early detection means that we can recommend conservative treatments and lifestyle changes to address tooth decay before it progresses to the point where restorative procedures are required.
- Hard and Soft Tissue Lasers. In the broadest terms, this type of laseractivates and energizes water molecules in such a way that they can be used to remove problematic tooth and gum structure. As you will learn, the clinical applications for this type of dental laser span nearly every aspect of general and cosmetic dentistry.
What Procedures Utilize Laser Dentistry?
The list of procedures wherein a dental laser can serve as the primary or adjunct instrument is extensive. Some highlights include:
- Identifying demineralization of the enamel, the first stage of tooth decay.
- Providing an alternative to drilling in the placement of fillings, crowns, and porcelain veneers.
- Shaping the gum line to achieve a more symmetrical and attractive smile.
- Shaping the gum line in preparation for porcelain veneer or dental crown placement.
- Sterilizing and shaping the canals during an endodontic procedure (root canal therapy).
- Removing infected gum tissue in the treatment of periodontal (gum) disease.
Are Dental Lasers Safe?
In the hands of an extensively trained and experienced laser dentist, dental lasers actually improve the quality and precision of patient care in a safe and effective manner. Compared to traditional methods such as drilling teeth or the surgical removal of infected gum tissue, dental lasers improve the accuracy of treatment. This allows us to fulfill our mission to provide gentle dental procedures that leave as much natural tooth and gum structure intact as possible. With dental laser procedures, our patients experience less pain, less need for local anesthesia, little to no bleeding, and significantly reduced recovery times.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Austin Dentist
Our team looks forward to helping you and your family enjoy happy, healthy smiles. To schedule an appointment, please contact us at (512) 549-4069. Our Austin dentist office proudly provides preventive, restorative, cosmetic, and laser dentistry to families in Austin, Round Rock, and surrounding communities.